Hello anyone that just so happens to check in to see if I've posted lately. That might just be Linda, seeing that I haven't posted in several months. I've just been busy with work, spending time with my daughter, and the fire department. To tell you the truth, I lost interest for blogging, but reading Linda's latest blog post on a crappy day @ work, kinda rejuvinated me, so thanks to you Linda...
So what to write about? Well seeing that I haven't written in so long, I'll just update what's been going on in my life. I have officially gotten the change in shift after a month, month and a half of training on day shift, and I'm finally on nights, which it looks like I'll be here for good, which the only drawback is it's limited the time I can take Hayleigh to every other weekend. Other than that, I have an awesome co-worker on the night shift, and I'm enjoying nights very much. Only took two days to adjust to the schedule.
The job is very interesting, and even though I have 13 years experience in firefighting, 6 years in the EMS field, and 9 or so years dispatching, I've learned I got a ton of stuff to learn. You figure 34 or so fire departments, with 34 different chiefs, and 34 different ways of doing things. I thought the days of shuffling ambulances around were over when I left American, boy was I wrong. Now we're talking only a few town, paid ambulance crews on during the day, nevermind @ night. Toning out, and retoning ambulance corps trying to get crews, sometimes were lucky, other times were toning out mutual aid ambulances to respond. And if it's busy medical wise, we could have a paid ambulance covering a few towns until the other town's ambulance frees up.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking any of these ambulance corps., but it's the same everywhere in the U.S. when you are dealing with volunteer departments, etc. Especially during the day, these people have to work their jobs, granted some are able to respond to calls during work, but that's a slim few.
Fire department has been steady, however, I've had Hayleigh the past few weekends so I haven't been able to go down to the station on saturdays, nor respond to calls. Planning on teaching another Firefighter 1 class this spring, and planning my first ever, out of the country, over the seas trip to Scotland. I have been keeping in contact with family that owns an Inn in Cumnock, which is a small town in Ayershire. And I recently found out that I have a second cousin that is a professional rugby player, that plays in both the Scotland professional league, and in Austrailla. How bout that?!..... lol
9 years ago
1 comment:
Boukie - welcome back from the grave! I was beginning to wonder if you had given up on writing completely!
I had a feeing that you would find that the grass wasn't exactly greener on the other side - just a slightly different shade of green! I'm sure that QV is simply a horse of another color and that you're still juggling as much as you did at American. Only difference is you don't have hospitals breathing down your back when you give them a lousy time!
Glad to hear that you've adjusted well to mids and also that you've got a great partner. That makes all the difference in the world sometimes!
Also, I wanted to say thank you for giving Rene a pep talk last week when he was feeling so discouraged about his day on Saturday. I've tried to tell him that he's new and these things are going to take time to learn but I'm sure it helped him tremendously to hear it from you. I have high hopes for him, I really do.
Now - start writing some more on your blog! Otherwise we'll never know how you're doing!
Post a Comment